Monday, December 28, 2009

Super Glue


“An apology is the superglue of life. It can repair just about anything.” ~Lynn Johnston

From "How to be Happier" (http://yourbiggestfan30.wordpress.com/): Apologize. I cannot even emphasize how important and how hard this concept it. It’s so easy to say “Oh, just apologize” but actually doing can be quite difficult…at least for me…at least sometimes. I am stubborn. I know that. When I feel like I’ve been wronged, I have a really hard time seeing what I have done wrong also. It takes two to create a forest fire of arguments, but it only takes one to rot inside. That will be the one who either refuses to apologize or refuses to forgive (or both). I’ve found that it is much easier to forgive someone when you first see what you’ve done wrong yourself and make retribution. It’s hard to humble yourself and truly apologize to all offended parties, but you’ll find it’s a huge chip off your shoulder if you do. And when do you it, do it sincerely. When you apologize tartly or without sincerity, it is an added insult. Although people should not wait for apologies anyway, they do it because they’ve been hurt and they want to be healed (paraphrasing Chesterton). So heal their wound and heal your own by so doing.

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.” ~ Lewis B. Smedes

Forgive yourself. So many times people will forgive you long before you forgive yourself. I know it is hard to get over something you’ve done horribly, but how can you go forward if you’re always stuck in the past? We all make mistakes. The point is to pick up the pieces and continue onward. The thing is, whatever it is that you’ve done most likely cannot be worse than hindering your progression. It’ll be okay. Let it go. To really make things right – be a better person.


I have been waiting for a particular apology as of late--or at least a change of heart--and upon reading this I am very humbled, realizing that while an outside force may have done wrong to me, holding a grudge and/or being unwilling to forgive is just as bad if not worse. Let's all just love each other! What's more is the opportunity to forgive ourselves. Personally I find that I am the hardest person to forgive, and when it comes down to it, that is pretty lame--I'm stuck with me until the end of time! The gift of the Atonement provides the way to change and to move forward, but only if we allow ourselves a second chance at happiness.>

No comments: