Tuesday, March 9, 2010

happily ever after

Earlier today this is how I felt--a seriously amazing optimism toward life ever after:

CINDERELLA

BELLE

SNOW WHITE

SLEEPING BEAUTY

LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD

THE LITTLE MERMAID

JASMINE


But... let's think about this. True, Disney does do their thing and disnefy the world to a ridiculous extent, but is happily ever after really such a fairytale? I'm being absolutely serious: the world sucks, I'm not going to deny that for one second. However, while the world may suck, does that mean that our lives have to? No--today it rained and snowed, and after such a beautiful Spring morning, I was very irked with the universe. But then as I was walking home, it occurred to me (yes, I have amazing epiphanies sometimes) that there was absolutely nothing I could do about the weather, and no matter how much I wished for the warmth of the sunshine, it was going to continue snowing. In resignation I looked at the mountains, framed by a strange mist-like form, and realized just how beautiful this storm was. I mean, really, it was absolutely breath-taking. Suddenly, whereas the wind and rain had been bitter bullets against my skin, they became icy cold kisses, waking me up from a long dark dream. It wasn't the Springtime sunshine that I am always so found of, true, but there was beauty in it none-the-less. It's not always the easiest thing in the world (believe me, I struggle with it all the time), but you can find the good everywhere and in everything--beauty is in every piece of intelligence on this planet, you just have to be looking through the right lens to see it.

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day to day basis."
-Margaret Bonnano-

No comments: