Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Upcycles in my Room

So, continuing on our home makeover (why buy new when you can make it prettier for cheaper?), I decided to recover my lovely pink pillow--what can I say, I'm a girly girl. :) --this particular pillow cover was one of my very first "home decor" projects. 

But it is definitely time for a change--to continue the theme of our new room, I headed off to JoAnns and purchased some gold and green brocades (I LOVE brocades!)--and here is the result:



Of course, since that upcycle was so much fun, I decided to try my hand at another one--this time, my little pink bed lamp (again, pink of course, haha). I forgot to get a full picture before I got started on my project, but I did snap one of the lamp shade, so you can see the big difference:

So out to the shed I went for some spray paint:

and painted the base (once pink) brown (but with some glittery top coat, haha):

There's the glittery shine! ;)

While that was drying, I got to work on the lampshade--real high tech pattern making, I know, I just rolled the lampshade and traced, like the kids do with shapes in first grade. :)

Once cut out, I simply glued the fabric onto the old shade with a glue gun.



Then I added just a bit of gold ribbon for the trim, and voila! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They both look all grown up and sophisticated! Still pretty but not in a way that looks like it should be in a dorm room, lol.
Janet

mail4rosey said...

that gold is gorgeous, and I love the final result!

Anonymous said...

That lamp shade is gorgeous! I'd love for you to share this at my link party Submarine Sunday. It's open until Friday @ 11:59pm. I hope you'll stop by!

T'onna
http://navywifeypeters.blogspot.com/2012/11/submarine-sunday-5.html

The Fall Creek Chicken Coop said...

Love the lamp makeover!!! I have two lamps I need to change up and had been dreading the shade, but now I know it should go much easier than I thought!!

Kathleen said...

I am always amazed at how a couple coats of spray paint can change ok items to fabulous! Thanks for sharing!